• Back
  • Print


Here we have put together a list of some of the common enquiries we receive.

Managing your account

  • How do I update or change my membership details?

    If you want to change your membership details, such as your name, contact details or address, you can download a form or do it online. You will need to provide certified proof of your identity and date of birth documentation. Please see the Certified Proof of Identity document for more information. 

  • How can I roll over my super from another super provider?

    If you would like to roll over your super, you can do this in a few easy steps, either by logging into Member Online or by downloading a Transfer-in Authority form and sending it to us. Please visit our Roll over your super section for more information.

  • How do I make additional super contributions?

    To make additional super contributions, you need to complete a Member Contributions – Payroll Deduction form to allow your employer to pay contributions directly into your Local Government Super account. This form is to be completed if you wish to have regular contributions deducted from your pay. 

  • How can I make an after-tax contribution?

    If you would like to boost your super by making an optional one-off after-tax superannuation contribution, fill in our Optional post-tax contribution form and return it to us.

  • What are the different investment options?

    There are a range of investment options available to members:

    Pre-mixed options Description Risk level
    High Growth High investment growth above the Consumer Price Index (CPI) over the longer term. Medium to High
    Growth1 Real investment growth above the CPI over the medium to long term. High to medium
    Defined Benefit Strategy2 Real investment growth over the medium to long-term. High to medium
    Balanced Growth Real investment growth above the CPI over the medium to long term. Medium to High
    Balanced Real investment growth above the CPI rate over the medium term. Medium
    Conservative Shorter term investing with good security and some potential for growth. Low
    Single sector options Description Risk level
    Sustainable Australian Shares 3 High long term investment growth above the CPI. High
    Cash Exposure to investments in money market securities with a very low risk of capital loss. Very Low
    DIY investment3 options Description Risk level
    Term Deposits A pre-determined, fixed rate of return over a nominated period. Very Low
    Shares Invest in the 300 largest Australian companies listed on the S&P/ASX 300 Index. Very High
    Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) A collection of shares which usually attempts to reflect the performance of a particular market index or benchmark. Very High
    1. Available only to members of the Retirement Scheme. 
    2. Available only to members of the Defined Benefit Scheme. 
    3. Available only to members of the Accumulation Scheme and Account-Based Pension Plan. 

    For more information on the investment options, take a look at the Product Disclosure Statement which relates to your Scheme.

    If you are looking for greater flexibility and choice, take a look at our DIY investment option page.

  • Can I invest my super in more than one investment option?

    You can choose to invest your account balance and/or your future contributions (including roll-ins, Superannuation Guarantee contributions and personal contributions) in a combination of one or more of our investment options, including the DIY investment option.

    You can also invest your future contributions in a different combination of investment options than the one you have for the existing balance of your super account.

    Please note that these multiple investment options are only available to members of the Accumulation Scheme and Account-Based Pension Plan.

    Members of the Retirement Scheme can only invest in one of the six investment options at any one time. Defined Benefit Scheme members can only invest in the Defined Benefit Strategy. 

  • What does it cost to change my investment options?

    Most investment switches you request will incur an investment switching fee. Please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement for further information regarding fees.

    For more information on the investment options, take a look at the Product Disclosure Statement which relates to your Scheme.

  • How do I change my investment options?

    To change your investment options, you need to complete the Changing Investment Strategy form and return it to us by post or if you have registered for Member Online you can log in and change your investment options online.

    To invest in the DIY investment option, you need to log in to LGS Member Online.

  • How long does it take to change my investment options?

    We will process your investment switch when we receive our change of investment option request and the effective date of our switch will be the date we receive the request from you.

    You may also nominate a later date you want the investment option change to take effect.

  • How do I change my insurance cover?

    If you wish to apply for an additional unit of Basic Death and Total Permanent Disablement (TPD) cover, just fill in a simple form and send it to us.

    You can also choose to reduce the number of basics units of cover you currently hold or cancel your insurance cover completely by filling in this form.

  • How do I transfer my insurance cover to LGS?

    You can apply to transfer insurance cover you have outside LGS so you are not holding multiple insurance policies. Simply fill in our Insurance Transfer form and return it to us.

Accessing your super

  • What do I need to do to access my super when I am retiring?

    If you are retiring, you will need to complete a Statutory Declaration form.

    This form is only available through our Member Services team. Please call us on 1300 LGSUPER (1300 547 873) between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

  • Can I access my super for reasons other than retirement?

    You can apply for early release of your super on compassionate grounds, such as terminal illness or permanent incapacity, or if you are experiencing severe financial hardship.

  • What is financial hardship?

    In certain circumstances you may access a portion of your superannuation for reasons of ‘severe financial hardship’.  To do so you need to satisfy one of the following two conditions:

    • Receiving Commonwealth support for a continuous period of 26 weeks, and being unable to meet reasonable and immediate family expenses.
    • Reaching preservation age (55 or above depending on your birth date) and receiving Commonwealth support for 39 weeks after reaching preservation age.

    You will need to apply to LGS for early release of your superannuation benefits. To support your application, you may apply to Centrelink for a confirmation letter showing you have received and are still receiving eligible income support payments.

    Any early release of superannuation may be taxed.

    Please call us on 1300 LGSUPER (1300 547 873) between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, for more information.

Binding nominations

  • What is a binding nomination?

    A binding nomination allows you to provide the Trustee of your super fund with specific instructions on how to distribute your super benefit in the event of your death.

    For more information on binding nominations, take a look at our fact sheet on Nominating Beneficiaries.

  • Do I need to make a binding nomination?

    Making a binding nomination is optional. However, making a binding nomination means your wishes are met after your death. If you do not make a binding nomination, the Trustee will, at its discretion, pay the benefit to one or more of your Legal Personal Representatives or dependants. 

  • How do I make a binding nomination?

    To make a binding death benefit nomination, you must complete the Binding Nomination form and return it to us. If you make a valid binding nomination it becomes effective from the date of signing. The Trustee must pay your benefit in accordance with your valid binding nomination to your Legal Personal Representative and/or dependants if all your nominated dependants survive you and are your dependants at the time of your death. 

  • Is a binding nomination permanent?

    A binding nomination will usually expire and cease to have effect three years after being made or last amended. You can confirm or amend it at any time by completing the Binding Nomination form and returning it to us, which extends the term for another three years from the date of signing.

    The Trustee must follow a valid binding nomination, regardless of whether your circumstances have changed, so it is important that you keep it up to date. 

Additional contribution rules

  • What are concessional super contributions?

    Concessional super contributions are contributions which attract the concessional tax rate of 15% and these usually include the compulsory contributions made by your employer on your behalf and any contributions you make to your super before tax.

    You are only eligible for the concessional tax rate if you have provided us with your Tax File Number (TFN).

    For more information on the contributions, take a look at the Australian Tax Office website.

  • What is salary sacrificing?

    Salary sacrificing is an arrangement where you receive part of your gross salary as a benefit rather than salary. The benefit is paid from your gross salary, i.e. before tax.

    Salary sacrificing to make super contributions will reduce your take-home pay but because it reduces your taxable salary, you will pay less tax on your income. Your super contribution is however taxed at 15% when it is deposited in your fund but for most people this rate will be lower than their marginal tax rate. 

  • What are non-concessional super contributions?

    Non-concessional super contributions are those contributions you make from your after-tax salary and they generally do not attract any tax when they are deposited in your super account. 

  • What are the caps on concessional and non-concessional super contributions?

    The standard concessional cap is $30,000 per annum and applies to all members who are less than 49 years old on the last day of the previous financial year.

    From the 2014/15 financial year onwards a $35,000 cap applies if you are aged 49 years or over on the last day of the previous financial year.

    Non-concessional contributions are capped at $180,000 per year (this amount is a multiple of six times the concessional contribution limit).

    However, members under age 65 can bring forward two years’ worth of contributions, giving them a cap of $540,000 over three years. For example, if you were to contribute $540,000 in the current financial year, for the next two financial years you would not be able to make non-concessional contributions without exceeding the cap.

    For more information on contributions, refer to the applicable Product Disclosure Statement for your Scheme.

Leaving Australia

  • Can I access my super if I am leaving the country?

    If you are planning to move overseas, you may be able to take your super with you.

    If you were a permanent resident of Australia who has moved to another country, you are unable to access your super until you retire, no matter where you are living. The only exceptions are if you are suffering severe financial hardship or compassionate reasons. In this case please contact LGS to discuss your specific concerns.

    If you were a temporary resident of Australia and have departed Australia, you are entitled to receive your super benefits through a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment. You can apply for this payment online through the Australian Taxation Office.

Tax file numbers

  • Why do I need to provide my Tax File Number?

    It is not compulsory to provide us with your Tax File Number (TFN) but if you do not provide us with your TFN:

    • You may be liable for extra income tax on your concessional or pre-tax contributions and this will be deducted from your super account
    • we may not be able to accept your non-concessional or after-tax super contributions
    • you may not be paid the Federal Government's super co-contribution (if you are eligible).

    Also if you do not provide us with a TFN, you may find it difficult to locate your super benefits in the future and consolidate them into one account.

    For more information on TFNs, take a look at the ATO website or you can call our Member Services team

  • How do I advise you of my TFN?

    You will need to complete the Notification of Tax File Number form and send it to us, or you can call our Member Services team on 1300 LGSUPER (1300 547 873) between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, and quote your TFN.

    Will you use my TFN for any other purposes?

    We will only use your TFN for purposes permitted by law, such as to:

    • find and identify your super benefits when other information is insufficient.
    • calculate the tax on your superannuation benefits
    • provide information to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) so they can assess any tax payable on your contributions.

    For more information on TFNs, take a look at the ATO website or you can call our Member Services team.

Certified proof of identity

  • Why do I have to provide proof of my identity?

    Under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 if you are a member of a super fund you must provide proof of your identity and your date of birth when you apply for the payment of a benefit and this also includes any application for release, transfer, deferral, or an insurance claim.

    These measures are to protect you against fraud and enable us to be reasonably satisfied that we have identified the person making the application is who they claim to be. 

  • What documents do I need to provide?

    You will need to provide a certified copy of your current driver's licence or an Australian passport which is current or has not expired for more than two years.

    Other documents may include certified copies of Citizenship Certificates, Birth Certificates, Local Government rate notices, and account notices from utilities such as electricity, gas, water or telephone which are no more than three months old.

    If you have changed your name, you must provide a certified copy of a document which shows the link between your old and new names such as a Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll, Change of Name Certificate or a Decree Nisi. 

  • What do I have to do to get the copies of my documents certified?

    You will need to arrange for an authorised person to certify your documents. Authorised persons include a Justice of the Peace, solicitor, an accountant with more than two years’ continuous membership of a professional body, a police officer or a permanent employee of Australia Post with more than two years’ continuous service.

    The authorised person must sight the original and the copy of the document to make sure they are identical. They must certify all the pages of the document and provide particular details and the date they certified the document.

    This person who certifies the documents must also be both independent and impartial and not quick to the member such as a spouse or a family member.

    We may reject the documents if there is any actual or perceived conflict of interest. 

Our ABN/ASFL/RSE numbers


We hope you have been able to find the answer to your question here. If not, our Member Services team are here to help. Call us on 1300 LGSUPER (1300 547 873) between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, or send us an email.

If you’d like to ask us a question in person, appointments are also available between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please see our Contact us page for further details.