Chicken and sweet corn soup
31 August 2018
This one-pot classic is easy to cook when you’re short of time or on the road, and will help bust the last of those winter colds.
- 2 chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 2L chicken stock or consommé
- 5cm ginger, finely grated
- 2 ears of corn, kernels trimmed
- 1 x 420g can creamed corn
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1 tbsp. corn flour, mixed into 50mL cold water
- White pepper to taste
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- Add chicken stock or consommé and chicken breasts into a large pot, cover and heat over a medium heat until simmering.
- After five minutes or when chicken is tender, remove from pot and allow to rest.
- Once cooled slightly, shred using two forks.
- Add the ginger, corn and creamed corn and bring back to a simmer.
- Combine corn flour and water until smooth, then poor slowly into pot while stirring until the liquid thickens.
- Add shredded chicken breasts and pepper to taste.
- Whisk egg whites, turn off heat and stir eggs in slowly.
- Serve with chopped spring onions.